For nearly 20 years, Ed has worked diligently – and successfully – to provide favorable outcomes in high-stakes disputes for a wide variety of clients, including global corporations, affordable housing agencies, professional service providers, various insurance companies and their insureds.
Admitted to practice in all Louisiana and Mississippi federal, state, and appellate courts, as well as before the Supreme Court of the United States, Ed’s experience in the legal industry is broad and extensive. His practice encompasses a range of issues, including the representation of various professionals – i.e., accountants, attorneys, real estate agents and brokers, directors and officers, and insurance brokers – in professional liability claims.
Additionally, Ed has a robust labor and employment practice, representing employers facing issues such as retaliation, sexual harassment, contract disputes, and more. He also focuses on environmental and toxic tort, worksite fatality claims, and the defense of personal injury and property damage allegations stemming from automobile, business premises, construction, and industrial accidents.
In all legal endeavors, Ed commits himself to the needs of his clients, providing them with the timely information and fact-based guidance necessary to navigate the challenges they face and, ultimately, obtain the most positive outcomes possible.
Ed is active in the legal profession and is a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and participates with the Professional Liability, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law (TTEL), and Life Health Disability and ERISA sections. He is a member of the TTEL Planning Committee and assists with meeting planning and programming. He is also former president and current member of the Executive Committee of the St. Thomas More-Loyola Law American Inn of Court.
Outside the office, Ed volunteers his time to Covenant House, a group dedicated to helping homeless and at-risk teens find needed housing and supportive services, education, and job skills.
Ed successfully completed the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy at Stanford Law School in Palo Alto, California.
Honors & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America: Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants; Litigation - Environmental (2015-2022)
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Professional Liability Defense
New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers: Legal Malpractice Law
CityBusiness Leadership in Law, 2016
AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell rating
Pro Bono Project Distinguished service award for over 100 hours of volunteered legal services
Loyola University Gillis Long Public Service Award, 2003
Loyola Law Review
- Ozanam Inn, volunteer
- Pro Bono Project, volunteer
- Covenant House, volunteer
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Counsel on Litigation Management
- Thomas More Loyola Law School American Inn of Court, President (2015 - 2017)
- American Inns of Court, Leadership Summits Advisory Group
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
Irwin Fritchie is proud to announce that 33 attorneys have been recognized in the 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers® in both the New Orleans and Baton Rouge offices.News
Irwin Fritchie Urquhart Moore & Daniels LLC, is excited to announce the launch of updated firm branding, including an updated logo and color scheme, and a more modernized and user-friendly website.News
Irwin Fritchie Urquhart & Moore LLC is pleased to announce that 30 Irwin Fritchie attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers® as 2023 Best Lawyers in America® and 2023 Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch.News
Publications & Presentations
2021 DRI Toxic Tort and Environmental Law SeminarPublicationApr 10, 2021
LSBA's 27th Annual Admiralty SymposiumPublicationSeptember 18, 2020
- Diversity & Inclusion - Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
St. Thomas More Inn of CourtPublicationNovember 12, 2019
- U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. Fifth Circuit Updates, Panel Coordinator
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, 1st Biennial Federal Bench and Bar ConferencePublicationSeptember 28, 2017
- Professionalism: What are the Rules for? Absolutely Everything!
New Orleans Bar Association 11th Hour Ethics and Professionalism CLE SeriesPublicationNovember 12, 2015
- Professionalism in the Age of Digital Communication and Social Media
New Orleans Bar AssociationPublicationNovember 27, 2012
46 Loy.L. Rev. 1275Publication2000
Lorman Education ServicesPublicationNovember 2007
Loyola College of Law Annual Family Law ConferencePublicationDecember 2011
- Supreme Court Continues Effort To Provide Guidance For Achieving “Error Free” Punitive Damages Award
IADC Drug, Device and Biotech CommitteePublicationApril 2007
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Louisiana and Mississippi state courts
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
J.D., Loyola University School of Law (2001)
B.L.A., Landscape Architecture, Louisiana State University (1987)